If an image has transparent parts, some browsers will ignore them. But, creating images with transparent parts is useful when making a collage or when creating a Visio diagram with embedded images. Here is how to create an image with transparent parts using GIMP:
- Install GIMP, if necessary. Here is a link to the Windows installer for GIMP 2.8.2
- Open the image, or copy/paste it into GIMP. If it is copied in, save it before proceeding.
- Choose the Layer -> Add Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel menu.
- Click on the Fuzzy Select Tool icon:
- Click on the area of the image that you want to be transparent. Note that the area of the image that you want to be transparent must have a fairly uniform color.
- Press Delete.
- Repeat until you have removed all of the areas of the image that you want to be transparent.
- Choose the File -> Export menu.
- Save the file as *.png